To apply for this position, please email resume, cover letter, three references and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Job Summary: Under general direction of the Building & Zoning Manager interprets and enforces County zoning code, nuisance laws, and land use regulations. Conducts field inspections, monitors compliance, and prepares reports and correspondence related to storage of junk/nuisances, operating illegal businesses, plot plan compliance, and sign construction. Assists townships and law enforcement personnel in resolving zoning matters. Maintains current knowledge of laws, codes, and ordinances that pertain to land use and zoning. Represents the County with other agencies, the public, and in legal actions related to zoning code enforcement; testifies in Court, and presents evidence before zoning and community boards. Attends and/or participates in evening and/or weekend meetings and inspections as directed. Reviews zoning maps, subdivision proposals, and zoning applications; participates in planning process for regional projects, developments, and activities as directed. Performs other related duties as required.
- Valid Ohio Driver’s License.
- Ability to understand written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to learn the skills and processes required to perform the position responsibilities.
- Ability to read and understand site plans, survey plats and construction drawings, as well as other types of maps and development plans or the ability to learn
- Ability to recognize unusual or threatening conditions & take appropriate actions.
- Ability to work independently and with co-workers as assigned.
- Follows all safety practices of the Clinton County Board of Commissioners as described.
Preferred Qualifications: Any combination of training and work experience which indicates possession of the skills, knowledge and abilities listed above. An example of an acceptable qualification for this position is:
Previous education and work experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties.
Training and/or work experience which evidences an advanced knowledge of county building and zoning codes, property maintenance regulations and inspection techniques or the ability to learn these skills.
Basic knowledge of public relations and court/legal process. ICC/State certification in Zoning, Property Maintenance, Housing or Building areas are preferred.
1. Assists in enforcing County zoning code (e.g., responds and attempts to resolve public complaints, inspects properties for storage of junk and illegal businesses, recommends issuance of citations, attends hearings, provides testimony, etc.).
2. Inspects properties for reported zoning violations. Send letters to property owners and/or occupants. File court cases. Maintain zoning violation records. Advise/refer any other department/entities involved of violations.
3. Performs on-site inspections of new buildings and alterations to buildings under construction and upon completion for conformity and compliance with zoning restrictions.
4. Makes courtesy inspections.
5. Acts as Nuisance Officer pursuant to O.R.C. section 3767.27.
6. Enters all enforcement actions, follow up and documents into computer database.
7. Prepares documents, letters, responses, plot plans for zoning code enforcement.
8. Verifies each building permit application complies the Zoning Resolution.
9. Review subdivision proposals, site plan applications, zone change requests, zoning appeals request for zoning compliance.
10. Assists the public and/or co-workers with zoning maps and code interpretation.
11. Represent County interests regarding zoning code violations at County Rural Zoning Commission, County Board of Zoning Appeals, Common Pleas Court, and community groups. Advises Board of Zoning Appeals, County Rural Zoning Commission, County Board of Commissioners and County Prosecutor of code requirements, violation, etc. on appeals and zoning change requests.
12. Work with various other departments (regional planning, health, building, county recorder, county auditor, law enforcement, county engineer, port authority, prosecutor, etc.) as needed.
13. Participates in Regional Planning of major projects, developments, etc. on appeals and reviews preliminary, final and total project plans as directed.
14. Creates reports on all zoning permits, violations, corrections and resolutions.
15. May be required to attend zoning meetings (Including evenings as hearings are filed with Board of Zoning Appeals & Rural Zoning Commission).
16. Assists with the preparation of documents, notice of public hearings, meeting minutes, mailings and official documents as directed.
17. Perform a variety of field and office work.
18. Completes timely follow up including but not limited to answer/return phone calls, emails, etc.
19. Demonstrates a regular and predictable attendance.
20. Performs other duties required by manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of: residential building code; zoning code; flood damage regulations; public relations; inspection techniques; court process and procedures; the Ohio Revised Code or the ability to learn.
- Ability to: define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions; communicate effectively; prepare clear, concise and accurate reports; answer routine inquiries from the public; calculate numbers.
- Ability to effectively use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, email, database software, GIS Software, printer/scanner, telephone, calculator.
- Will be required to carry a cell phone during working hours and as scheduled
Majority of work is performed under typical office conditions with minimal physical effort expended. Moderate physical effort demanded in making inspections. May be required to walk and stand for approximately 1 to 2 hours per day. Must be able to access all levels at a construction site.
Occasionally required to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl when conducting field work.
Required to attend evening meetings with various commissions, boards and committees.
Operates standard office equipment, computer and telephone.
Uses hand tools when conduction field work.
This job description is not to be all inclusive and may be changed at any time with or without notice. It is not a contract of employment, express or implied. Job responsibilities may include other responsibilities as assigned by immediate supervisor, department head, elected official.
Clinton County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.